In the corporate world, this is a debate that has been going on for a long time. So, what are the differences between golf and polo shirts?
Golf shirts are known for their more formal, dressy look. They are made of thicker materials and have typically a collar. Polo shirts, on the other hand, are casual and more relaxed in appearance.
Both golf shirts and polo shirts can be a great outfit for any occasion; depending on the type of event it is important to pick the right shirt to wear. Golf shirts can be paired with khakis or dress pants to create a dressier appearance while polos can be paired with jeans or shorts for a more casual look.
What is a Golf Shirt?
The term “golf shirt” is a catch-all term for any shirt that can be worn on the golf course.
A golf shirt typically has a collar and is either polo-style or shirt-style. The most common fabric for a golf shirt is cotton, although other materials are also used.
A golf shirt is a collared, button-down shirt made of breathable, moisture-wicking fabric. They are typically made from cotton or polyester and have a slightly relaxed fit to them.
What is a Polo Shirt?
Polo shirts have been around for hundreds of years, and today they can be worn with anything from jeans to a full suit.
They are made to fit tightly around the body and typically have three buttons on the front.
Polo shirts are called polo shirts because they originally started in polo matches. The men would wear them when they played because it was easy to move around without their shirts getting in their way. Polo matches started in 1876, and at first, players wore short-sleeved jerseys so that they wouldn’t get caught on things while playing polo. They quickly realized that these were not as practical as long sleeves, but were much cooler to play in than other clothing options like suits or pants.
List of 15 Differences Between Golf Shirt vs Polo Shirt
Many people are always confused about the difference between a golf shirt and a polo shirt. Here are 15 key differences between the two:
- The sleeves of a golf shirt are longer than the sleeves of a polo shirt.
- Golf shirts often have collars, which polo shirts usually don’t.
- A golf shirt has buttons at the front, while there are no buttons on a polo shirt.
- Golf shirts have pockets on both sides, while polo shirts only have pockets on one side.
- Polo shirts are often more casual in appearance than golf shirts because they lack a collar and buttons at the front.
- Polo shirts can sometimes be shorter than golf shirts, although this is not always true for every style of both items of
- The polo shirt is more formal than a golf shirt.
- Polos are generally made from cotton, linen, or a blend of these fabrics. Golf shirts are usually made of polyester and cotton blends.
- Polo shirts have a longer and more narrow collar than a golf shirt which is shorter and wider.
- A polo has buttons on the bottom while golf shirts do not have any buttons on the bottom. The collar of the polo shirt is also closed by buttons from top to bottom while the collar on a golf shirt remains open at the back. You can tie up your polo shirt around your waist to make it look like an oversized shawl but you cannot do this with your golf shirt.
- Golf shirts are typically short sleeved while polos come in long sleeves.
- A golf shirt is a shirt that’s typically made from fabrics that allow for wide movement, while a polo shirt is more form-fitting.
- Golf shirts are usually made from heavier and denser materials that allow for freedom of movement, such as cotton, linen, or wool. These materials are thicker and rougher than those used in making a polo. This makes the golf shirts more durable and suitable for different weather conditions. They also have longer sleeves to protect from the sun and provide additional comfort when swinging the golf club.
- Polos come in lighter materials such as cotton or polyester, which make them easier to wear in hot weather and can be easily washed and dried without shrinking or losing shape like other fabrics do. However, these lighter materials may wear out faster than those used in heavier items.
- Golf shirts are traditionally more formal than polo shirts because of their longer tails. They also have more elaborate collars for styling. Golf shirts are usually made of stronger fabrics and heavier in weight.
Golf Shirt Characteristics
Many golfers are making the switch to a lighter and more breathable golf shirt to stay cool on the course.
Golfers can keep their bodies cooler by wearing these shirts which are better for their performance.
There are many different brands of breathable golf shirts that provide different features such as moisture management and UV protection. These types of shirts also allow ventilation to keep your body cool while you play.
Polo Shirt Characteristics
Polos have been around for more than 100 years. They were originally made from a cotton piqué, but today there are many different fabrics to choose from depending on the season and style preference.
A polo shirt is an excellent choice for someone who wants to look professional without dressing in anything too formal. It will go well under a suit jacket or blazer, as well as under other more formal attire such as dress shirts and ties.
Difference of Golf and Polo shirt in Appearance and Fabrication
The polo shirt is a garment that is made up of knit fabric. It is created in a seamless manner. This design prevents the need for seaming and buttons, which makes it more comfortable to wear.
The polo shirt was originally worn as an undershirt for tennis and polo players. The garment was first developed by John L. Biggins of Detroit, Michigan in 1898 as an alternative to a cotton dress shirt that required the use of a stiff collar and tie.
The golf shirt is made up of woven fabric, so it requires seaming and buttons in order to keep its shape. It also generally has longer sleeves than the polo shirt, with a placket at the top that can be closed with buttons or snaps instead of folding over like on the polo shirt’s collar.
Key Differences of Polo and Golf shirt in Functionality
Polo shirts and Golf shirts are similar in their features but there are some key differences between them. For example, you can use a polo shirt as a golf shirt but not vice versa.
Polo shirts are traditionally cut for the game of polo, which is played while riding a horse. Polo players would wear loose-fitting garments to allow them to move more freely and remain cool when it was hot outside. Polo shirts are typically made of cotton or polyester for increased mobility and breathability on the field. They have short sleeves and no collar, so they can be worn buttoned up or unbuttoned for a more relaxed look.
Golf shirts, on the other hand, have been around much longer than polo shirts because the game has been around since the 1700s.
Polo shirts have been around since the 1920s when an Italian aristocrat named Count René de LaOgna invented the garment by adding a collar to his tennis shirt in order to protect him from the sun on his Maltese estate’s polo grounds.
Conclusion: Which Style (Polo shirt or Golf shirt) Should You Choose?
There are many different styles of shirts for a lot of different occasions. The decision on which style to choose can be difficult based on the type of event or work you are doing. However, if you are going to a golf outing, it might be best to wear a golf shirt with the right accessories.
When attending an event or going out for work (polo is preferable here), it is important to have the appropriate clothing and accessories so that your appearance reflects how you want others to see you and interact with you.