Fitbits are one of the famous wearable health devices, and they already have a loyal following. Fitbit is a battery-powered wristband that you can wear during the day to track your activity and take short walks. The tracker monitors your movement throughout the day and displays it in graphs on an app. You should expect to get about five years out of a Fitbit if adequately cared for. Ensure longevity by keeping it clean and free from moisture, charging it regularly, and storing it at room temperature when not in use.
What Is a Fitbit, and How Does It Work?
The Fitbit is a wristband device that tracks your daily activity, including your steps and distance traveled. The Fitbit app allows you to see your workout in graphs and create a fitness profile over the day and week.
Some Fitbit models also track your sleep. When you’re not tracking your activity, your Fitbit automatically tracks your steps, calories burned, distance traveled, floors climbed, stairs climbed, and aerobic heart rate to show how active you are.
Users also program the Fitbit to track their floors and stairs on their calendars. Fitbit also offers a few other features that help you track your health. You can ‘bundle’ your Fitbit with select Fitbit partners to get automatic data syncing to track your exercise.
Connect your Fitbit to the Weight Watchers program and log your food. Each Fitbit model comes with a different number of daily steps, distance traveled, and food logs.
How Long Does Fitbits Last?
The life expectancy of a Fitbit depends on how clean and well-maintained the tracker is and how often you charge it. The Fitbit Ultra is one of the more basic models, and it sets only once a week.
The Charge 2, Fitbit’s best-selling model, charges once a week and last about five years. The Charge 3 charges once a week, lasts about three years and is one of the most popular Fitbits. It’s one of the best Fitbits to buy because it lasts so long while still offering most of the features that newer models offer.
Fitbit Pros and Cons
There are a few pros and cons to using Fitbits, and these include:
- The Fitbit app is available on all major mobile platforms, including Android, iOS, and the web. It means that you can access your information from almost any device.
- The Fitbit app also provides a wealth of information about your fitness. You can see your daily activity, steps, floors climbed, sleep, weight, etc.
- Tracks your food intake and weight.
- Your personal information is safeguarded and encrypted using powerful encryption. Create an account that requires a password to access your data.
- It is compatible with various devices, including some smartphones and smartwatches.
- You can also connect your Fitbit to various health and fitness apps. The Fitbit app also provides a unique way to motivate yourself to get more active and reach your goals.
- Create a goal to reach, and the app will give you motivational nudges to push you towards your goal.
- The Fitbit also comes with a variety of different brands. Choose from a variety of colors and bands.
- Look into other options if you have any health conditions that prevent you from wearing a piece of wearable technology.
- Fitbit manufacturers didn’t design the device for people with certain medical conditions.
- As much as the device comes with different brands and colors, it is not one-size-fits-all.
- The Fitbit size varies from person to person, and some people may find that their Fitbit is too loose or too tight.
- If one of the bands doesn’t work for you, swap it out for a different one. If you want to keep the same Fitbit band, you will have to buy a new one.
It is the original Fitbit, and the manufacturers released it in 2015. The Flex is a clip-on activity tracker that you can wear on your clothing. It lasts for about six months before you have to charge it again.
Fitbit Flex 2
Buy the Flex 2 as an upgrade to the Flexor; buy the original Flex as an upgrade to the Flex 2. Both track your steps and distance, take short walks, track your sleep, and log food intake.
The only difference is that the Flex 2 records your steps and distance while wearing it.
Fitbit Charge 2
The Charge 2 is the latest upgrade to the Charge, and it does almost work in the same way. Both track your steps, distance, floors climbed, and aerobic heart rate.
The Charge 2 lasts about five years on a single charge.
Fitbit Inspire HR
The Inspire HR is the newest Fitbit model, and it’s the most advanced model yet. It lasts about five years on a single charge and tracks your heart rate, steps, distance, calories burned, and floors climbed.
How To Successfully Charge a Fitbit
Ensure you fully charge the Fitbit before you wear it. The Fitbit app indicates when your Fitbit is battery low by changing the color of your Fitbit band.
Store your Fitbit in a cool, dry place that doesn’t bump against other electronic devices. Heat can shorten the lifespan of a Fitbit. Turn off any Bluetooth devices and keep the phone away from your Fitbit while charging.
Some of the most popular Fitbit models are the Charge 2 and the Charge 3. If possible, buy a Fitbit from an official Fitbit product family. These models tend to last longer and have better battery life than unbranded models.
What are the Alternatives to Fitbits?
Besides the Fitbit, other trackers share the same features. They all work the same way; when you strap them to your wrist or clip them onto your clothing, they record your steps and activities to see how active you’ve been over a specific period.
The cost of these trackers varies from brand to brand, but most are available for less than a hundred dollars. Over time, as with other types of wearable health devices, Fitbits will lose some of their battery life and become less accurate at tracking your movements.